Welcome to BSA Troop 228
Friday, December 5th – Sunday, December 7th
Location: Saddleback Butte State Park
Sky permitting, we’ll do some star gazing and work through several requirements for the Astronomy Merit Badge (if you are interested in earning Astronomy, let me know and I’ll send you more information). We’ll also have a group of Webelos joining us for the day – should be lots of fun…
A Special Opportunity for Troop 228 Scouts:
- Our Troop has been asked to assist NASA with a flag retirement. This isn’t a normal flag… this is the 30′ x 50′ flag in the NASA Hangar in Palmdale. Click on the above image to enlarge. Note the size of the people walking below it.
- There is no need for a special ceremony – the building manager just wants to ensure the flag is treated with respect and doesn’t touch the floor. They would also like us to ensure it is retired properly.
- While we could certainly retire this flag ourselves, I would like to present it to the veterans living at the Veterans Home of California in Lancaster – I think they would be deeply moved by this opportunity.
- The hard part at this point is choosing a date… it has to be a weekday (we’ll need to building operations people to physically take the flag down), and we’ll need as many scouts as we can muster.
- If you are interested in helping and can support this date, please let me know. Adults and scouts are welcome – the more hands, the better. All must be US citizens…
2015 Upcoming Campouts / Events
Please click on the troop “Calendar” link to get more information.
|January||Big Bear Ski Trip|
|February||Snow Camping at the Chula Vista Campground/Nordic Ski Base on Mt. Piños|
|March||New Scout Campout at Vasquez Rocks|
|April||San Simeon Campout - with a visit to Hearst Castle (!)|
|April||Visit to Griffith Park - hike to the Hollywood Sign?|
|May||Planes of Fame Airshow in Chino (<- whoever thought of this… I approve!!)|
|June||Sierra trip (Yosemite?). More definition coming|
|August||Family Outing (Carpinteria?)|